Blogging Devices: My Opinions on the Sony QX10
I recently received the Sony QX10 from Sony through Best Buy to try out and review. I was first introduced to the product at Mom 2.0, and was instantly captivated. The Sony QX10 is basically a mini DSLR, that syncs to you smartphone to produce almost professional grade pictures. The reason why I say almost is due to the fact that it does not have a flash. However, if the room is already naturally lit, you will produce superior pictures. This post is going to walk you through my experiences, and give you a complete unbiased opinion.
The moment you receive the Sony QX10, you immediately notice the size of it. It is small in size and lightweight. As this applies to the everyday Blogger, I can insert it into my clutch bag, along with my smartphone, house keys, Nars lipstick, ID and be on my way. Honestly, that’s all I really care about aside from does it take great pictures. When making technology purchases, I ask myself how does it improve my online social standing. Since Instagram is the new “It” social network, in order to get ahead one must be able to capture great photos. I do feel as if this device is an asset because of its flat design, it allows you to get close up on your subject. The lens also zooms in and out so you can take epic phots at great distances. So for example, if you were in a crowded room, 100 rows back. An iPhone or Galaxy can take pictures to get you approx. from the 80th row viewpoint without having to enlarge with your fingers. The Sony QX10 can get you approx. to the 30th row viewpoint, which is quite impressive. As this applies to us normal folk, this device will come in handy during outdoor, daytime sporting events, concerts, music fests. Your followers will think you were front row, when you really were still trying to find parking loll, j/k.
I am not a fan of the app that you download in order to use the Sony QX10. Currently it is very buggy, and at times I had to reboot in order to use. I am not an app developer so I have no suggestions. I am confident that there will be updates for improved usage, so I am not worried about long term issues.
THINGS WE CARE ABOUT
The retail price on the Sony QX10 is $249.99, but can currently be found on sale at Best Buy for $199. The lens comes in two colors, black and white. Side Note: If you purchase the Sony QZ10 through Best Buy in white, you get a free case.
WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS
Best Buy is offering workshop in 6 cities around the country teaching photography. These workshops will give you everything you need to capture life’s important moments, perfectly. Topics such as
Slots are limited to 50. If you live in Chicago, Boston, Denver, Atlanta, New York., be sure to register!
- Classes are limited to the first 50 people who sign up (per session)
- The classes will be conducted by your pro photographer with support from the Experience Experts and the Team Leaders
- Structure of the class will feature 4 photography scenarios; Portrait, Action, Low-Light and Close up
- Each scenario will focus on specific photo elements and how various lens, filters, etc.
- All classes will feature identical curriculum
- Upon class completion, customers will be invited to submit their best photo. Entries will be judged by a panel of Professional Photographers. 1 Grand prize winner is selected and wins a $1500 Best Buy Gift Card to upgrade/purchase their DSLR and 4 first place winners will win a $500 Best Buy Gift Card