Hey House Cats-
So I was sent the Nikon Coolpix S800c to review from my Best Buy Family. Upon receiving it, I was extremely excited because I had heard so many good things about the CoolPix series of cameras. Below, I will break down the good, the bad, and the redeeming features of this camera. Please note, I am not a professional photographer so when reviewing cameras, I review from the stance of the average joe. I make note of the devices simplicity/ or complexities to use. I try and gauge if a 5th grader or a grand parent could use this item without feeling overwhelmed.
Positives: The camera is very cute. I received the Nikon Coolpix S800c in the color white. The sleek casing is very attractive, and small enough to place in a back pocket or purse. The camera also has touch screen capability and runs on an Android operating system. Additionally, the S800c has WiFi capability. So of course with those last two features you can add apps, listen to music, play games, location gps, and of course connect to the web to upload videos and pics.
The Bad: Well… I had serious issues connecting to the internet. I took the camera in to my local Best Buy and had one of the techs take a look at it. They had issues connecting online as well . However, I am not interested in using the internet on this device. I figure as long as I am able to obtain the pictures through USB, I am happy.
Retrieving my photos through USB and Memory Card was extremely easy. It literally took less than 5 seconds. I know that the Android OS is one of the key features on this camera…. honestly I don’t need my camera to do all of that. I already own an Android, Tablet, 2 Laptops, and several other wireless devices. I need my microwave to heat up the food, my tv to show programs, and my camera to take pictures… no more, no less.
As far as complexity… I don’t see a grandparent using this… BUT! it is definitely easy enough for a 5th grader. The reason why I wouldn’t recommend this for a grandparent… the device requires a bit of toggling to get to the features. It might confuse and/ or frustrate them. For me personally, once I figured out how to get to easy auto mode I was good to go!
Redemption: So outside of the connectivity issues… the Nikon CoolPix S800c lived up to it’s name. The pictures quality is comparable to my DSLR camera. I will definitely turn to it when I don’t feel like lugging my larger camera to an event. Below are a few pictures that I took (while in bed lolll). Tell me what you think 🙂
Purchase here at ===> Best Buy 🙂
More deals going on at Best Buy!
- 10% off coupon that is good for Headphones, Speakers and Health & Fitness Products that is valid 12/2-12/29.
- Buy any 3 tablet accessories and save (up to $75, save $10; up to $100 save $15; up to $150, save $30). No coupon is necessary for this offer.
- Best Buy is offering Free Shipping on all products on BestBuy.com through 12/27. Now through 1/2/13
- Shipping deadline for holiday arrivals in time for Christmas is 12/19.
- Best Buy can accommodate orders purchased on BestBuy.com through store pick-up until 3PM on Christmas Eve- perfect for last-minute shoppers!
- Best Buy will price match products of both our in-store and online competitors throughout the season. The standard price match policy is valid on any gift purchased between 11/4-12/24 and runs through 1/24. Online Price Match must be done at time of purchase. Check out bestbuy.com for more information.
Note: I am a Best Buy WOLF Brand Ambassador, and am being compensated for this post. All opinions and ideas are my own.